[Typo3-dev] help needed: charset tables (Asian languages)

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Wed Mar 31 11:22:35 CEST 2004

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> Maybe it would be fair to require mbstring et all for those charsets?
> After all people using these sets are more likely to have conversion
> support compiled in than western europe.
>
> At least it would be a fair tradeoff with a very limited support.

I'd reckon that there is no Japanese server that has not mbstring
support (mbstring has it's roots in Japan).

And for Typo3 supporting it:  it depends on what the Core needs. What
set of string fucntions is a must, what functions are would be nice to
have? Without these infos it is hard to determine if it is worth the
hassle. Basic functions (lenght, substr) are fairly straightforward,
search functions are more tricky and regular expressions *) are hopeless.

Masi

*) Depends on the expression, some will work, some not.

Eg for character classes you need a workaraound:

[aäsß] => [as]|ä|ß

"." must be written to match a multibyte sequence. But that works only
for utf-8!

This should be done by the programmer. I'm not sure if a regexp
"preparser" is an easy task (a simple replace won't do).