[Typo3-dev] extensions with binaries

Jens Ellerbrock je at hades.org
Thu Mar 25 14:35:21 CET 2004

Hi

i don't think that this idea has been brought up yet, so i'll put this up
for discussion.
What do you think  about binaries in extensions?
In my case I was thinking specifically about my pdf_generator and the needed
open sourcve program htmldoc. Since some people did experience some problems
compiling it, i thought about creating one extension that contains a
statically compiled version for linux, one for windows (and maybe someone else could
provide one for FreeBSD).
The same could be done for  ImageMagick

Pro:
- it's easier for the user

Con:
- quite large extensions have to be managed (webspace / traffic)
- potential security risk (IMHO not much worse than the one we allready have)

Please share your thoughts

- Jens Ellerbrock