[Typo3-dev] How to integrate non-MySQL data with Typo3 (writing an extension?)

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Tue Mar 23 16:52:25 CET 2004

Well, we are currently in the process of programming a DBAL extension
and PostGreSQL might be the first DB to implement other than MySQL. This
might help you out. Just remember that TYPO# will still impose
requirements such as "uid" and "pid" fields on another database, so it
still needs to conform with certain requirements for it to make sense.
And the same goes for relations you might have.

Anyways, with the DBLA you are theoretically able to connect ANYTHING
with TYPO3, ultimately by programming some translation interface in
between.

If you want to help us with the dbal development it might be quite
helpful for me if you could import the dummy contnet of a TYPO3 testsite
in postgress and allow me remove access to that - then I could test if
it works...

- kasper

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 16:37, Frank Joerdens wrote:
> Greetings! I've got a medium-complex PostgreSQL database (10 tables, a
> handful of foreign key relationships), the web interface for which needs
> overhauling, bad. It was written 6 years ago in PHP3, and it's a mess of
> HTML and PHP mixed together, no templating etc. (my first job in PHP,
> basically), so I decided to throw all the frontend code away and redo it
> from scratch.
>
> Now, I could quite easily do it totally from scratch with Fasttemplate,
> and be reasonably happy. However, since we just discovered Typo3 here,
> and are quite taken with it, my thinking goes: Why not try to integrate
> it with Typo3 and have a killer site that is totally flexible content
> management wise ...
>
> I guess it would be kind of similar to the Book Database extension from
> the online repository, albeit a little more complex, and it would rely
> on PostgreSQL rather than MySQL. I could port it to MySQL - as far as I
> can make out, I'm not using anything that MySQL doesn't support these
> days (back when I wrote the original thingy, MySQL was pretty lame, and
> didn't support foreign keys or transactions ... ) - but I quite like
> PostgreSQL and know it much better than MySQL, so I'd actually rather
> stick with it.
>
> Can anyone tell me whether this is feasible and if there is some
> documentation to get me started on this particular task?
>
> I'm just looking at "Backend Programming" and "Inside Typo3" but it
> doesn't seem to be quite what I'm looking for.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Frank

Best regards

- kasper