[Typo3-dev] Library manager instead of globals

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Fri Mar 19 10:20:07 CET 2004

Martin T. Kutschker wrote:

> Well, I only had a glance at the changes and there is a lot to come in
> PHP5 including destructors. So you might want to have a look at it
> anyway before doing your workarounds for PHP4 (eg it might be possible
> to use a sensible naming that allows to reuse the destructor for PHP5
> and PHP4).

The destructor is named __destruct() in PHP5.

The name of the constructor has changed to __construct. But as a
fallback a method with the same name as the class is used (that's the
old behaviour).

> And for your question, I guess the answer is yes. I'm pretty sure that
> there it is either backward compatible or there is some switch in PHP5
> that enables compatibilty.

Found some nice articles on
http://www.phpvolcano.com/articles/php5/index.php.

The article states that objects will always be passed by reference. No
backwards compatibility is mentioned. So I guess now Typo3 will have to
be re-tested and scanned for occurences where an explicit copy is required.

Other changes are extensions of the syntax, which are of course
incompatible.

But of course the spec is this: http://www.php.net/zend-engine-2.php

Don't know if it concernes Typo3, but PHP5 now used libxml2 for XML-support.

Masi