[Typo3-dev] bug in t3lib_htmlmail / mail services / phpMailer

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Wed Mar 10 18:47:12 CET 2004

Hi!

That convertName() is less than optimal is probably a known bug.

While playing with the idea of implementing a mailer as a Typo3 service,
I thought I'd sort this out while coding.

Well, I had a look at the code of phpMailer and think it looks fairly
complete and correct to me. It'd be really a waste of time to reinvent
the wheel. phpMailer is LGPL'ed so it could be shipped with Typo3,
perhaps with a nice wrapper (either configurable via SYS or via the
service mechanism).

Alternatively, I could follow my original plan of the service and simply
lift parts of the code (I'm talking mainly about the header encodings).
Of course this would mean that my cod has to be LGPL'ed as well.

IMHO, the convertName() problem should be fixed on way or the other. Of
course one could only fix the bug with t3lib_htmlmail, but I dislike
it's API. You cannot easily unset headers or reuse a mail object. So I'm
in favour of a bigger change.

Opinions?

Masi