[Typo3-dev] Improvement of function validEmail($email)

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Tue Mar 9 11:30:56 CET 2004

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Hi Masi,
>

>>I can't look at the code, you need a subscription.
>
> http://www.mstucki.net/files/misc/php4-idna/
> This seems to be allowed :-)

Ah yes. How did you know it would? ;-)

>>Anyway the original SMTP restricted itself to 7bit, so umlauts are a
>>scary thing. And again arises the probem of the encoding (charatcer
>>set). iso-8859-1? utf-8? Something else?
>
> You're right, see (again, in German)
> http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=mgqtvrfh86h8$.n8v5qlnhkf0i$.dlg@40tude.net
>
> I mixed this up with case sensitivity in localparts which is (in theory)
> possible.

AFAIK the system can treat the local part as it's designers seem fit. So
case sensitivity is an option, but uncommon.

Personally I'd treat them as case insensitive. And I would not write
code that implements ALL of RFC822 features. They're little used anyway.
Just do what is common or easy to implement.

Masi