[Typo3-dev] DBAL: Call for sponsors

Kasper Skårhøj kasper at typo3.com
Thu Mar 4 11:48:29 CET 2004

> Sure? I never needed it and I still don't need it. MySQL is working great
> and is easy to administrate.
>
> If one thinks MySQL is not powerful or even commercial enough, it could also
> be that his problem is more a political than a technical one.

Completely right and I always hated DBAL for being mostly driven by
political reasons.

However, when I look at the SQL security in TYPO3 and thinks about how
to enhance it I begin to see centralized handling of SQL for my eyes -
which in turn makes DBAL easier in any case. So one begin to think that
IF these security enhancements means that DBAL might be easier to achive
anyways, why not make sure the security enhancements are made in a way
that COULD support any DBAL efforts lateron.

That kind of thinking is not up for discussion; Its a fact that many
great architectures of TYPO3 has been realized with this kind of
thinking-ahead in the back. The only difference this time is that we ask
if someone would like to sponsor....

BTW, I stick to MySQL myself and I can guarantee you that any DBAL
efforts will NOT affect TYPO3s performance with MySQL with any
significant amount.

> > But I think such core changes should be made in a separate version (e.g.
> > 3.7.0).
>
> Agreed, but my reason for that is not the huge core change but the
> availability of a release candidate.
>
> What's wrong with the idea that 3.6.0 should be released _now_ and DBAL
> should be implemented right after for fitting into the next version?

This is what we want to do in fact, see my other post.