[Typo3-dev] Versioning

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Thu Mar 4 09:39:37 CET 2004

Hi,

in the recent thread "DBAL: Call for sponsors" it showed up that
fundament for the DBAL shall after all still layed prior to a 3.6
release.

One of the arguments for DBAL posted by Daniel has been versioning. I
would like to get some further understanding why versioning is at all
related with DBAL..

Some thoughts from kasper and Julle are published in the TODO.txt in 3.6
Core.

* Is versionin/TODO.txt still the recent approach to versioning or have
there been other thoughts by now?
* why is DBAL/XML-queries necessary for the realisation of versioning?
* what is the current roadmap for versioning related stuff?

Cheers,
PeterN

P.S.:
The ability of "true versioning" in my point of view seems to be very
important feature by now. As some of you know I am working on the
integration of a workflow engine.

One big reason for the integration of a workflow engine is the
possibility to realise complex content-life-cycles and this task
definitly needs some manner to realise versioning of the
content. I would of course love to see some "ready-to-use" feature/API
within typo3. Due to time-constraints I would otherwise probably have to
setup some temporarily "quick-hack" to get a working prototype setup.
--
Peter Niederlag
http://www.niekom.de * Typo3 und EDV-Dienstleistungen *