[Typo3-dev] osCommerce extension "project"

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Mon Mar 1 09:29:15 CET 2004

Gabriel Anast wrote:

> You are correct there, and osCommerce *does* have business logic in its
> display code. It is completely meshed, however, it is uniform! In other
> words, even though there is almost no data/layout abstraction, once you
> get a feel for osCommerce code you can methodically separate it out for
> the most part. Its not ideal, but its better than a lot of code I have
> seen.

I guess it's ok once you're into the code. But for small web agencies
calling a "real prgrammer" just to man minor layout changes is a problem.

> Fortunately there are two templating systems that are germinal but a
> good starting point nevertheless. The better one (IMO) is called the
> "Basic Template System" and will probably be the basis for feeding our
> first version to Typo3 rendering using Typo3 markers or maybe the auto
> templating tool based on a sanitized osCommerce template (speaking off
> the top of my head here).

Sounds reasonable enough.

> In our first attempt we will rehack as little as possible. Once we have
> a version that will nicely display in a Typo3 website, I believe that we
> will go back and attempt a more fundamental reworking. At this point we
> will have to share development standards with the osCommerce team. Even
> if we had to rewrite every piece of the core, thus obviating any real
> synchronicity with osCommerce updates, there are still a lot of
> "contribution" writers out there that would love a real API.

Good luck then. And perhaps youo can get in touch with other CMS/Portal
communities. At one time or another they all try to get osCOmmerce (or
something simliar) into their project. Perhaps you can all share your ideas.

 > its almost unbelievable how aggressive the community as a
> whole is.

Are you some kind of masochist to enjoy that? ;-)

Masi