[Typo3-dev] TYPO3 on a Knoppix CD?

Andrew Henson andy at elaptics.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 10:25:30 CEST 2004

In article <mailman.3470.1087509276.6288.typo3-
dev at lists.netfielders.de>, ct at kki.org says...

> Hi there,
>
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Andreas Otto wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 17 June 2004 23:27, Sven Wilhelm wrote:
> > > As Christoph Thiel said, it shouldn't be Knoppix because it's blown up
> > > stupidly and isn't really a clean sarge oder sid (dirty mixed).
> > >
> > > An interesting alternativ could be gnoppix which is basically a woody
> > > only with backports of gnome.
> >
> > Since we would only need a web browser as gui to operate TYPO3 any other
> > window manager with a smaller footprint than gnome or kde should do.
>
> Something like morphix (http://www.morphix.org/), LNX-BBC
> (http://www.lnx-bbc.org/) or Damn Small Linux
> (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/) could be a good starting point. I'll look
> into this tomorrow...

There is also SLAX (http://slax.linux-live.org) which is slackware based
and is already designed to work on the small CD's. It also has
instructions on how to make your own version of it so it should be quite
easy to drop some of the unneeded packages and add any other necessary
ones to keep the size small. Also, the scripts used to make it can
apparently be used on any distro so is worth a look just on that basis.

Andy