[Typo3-dev] OT: Quesstion about PHP syntax in extensions

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 17 09:40:47 CEST 2004

Hello-

--- Wolfgang Klinger <wolfgang at stufenlos.net> wrote:

>  *hiya!*
>
>  On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Christopher wrote the following:
> > That's what I was doing when I noticed this. So does this just mean
> > that 'property1.' is simply the name of the element in the array?
> (And
> > here I thought it was doing something tricky...)
>
>  It's tricky ;-)
>
>  e.g.
> ----------------
> myext_pi1.myprop = on
> myext_pi1.myprop.value1 = i'm the first one
> myext_pi1.myprop.value2 = i'm the second one
> ----------------
>
>  So you can now test (first) if myprop should get any attention by
> ----------------
> if (isset($conf['myprop']) &&
>     $conf['myprop'] == 'on' &&
>     count($conf['myprop.'])) {  // dot!
>
>     // ....... do something
> }
> ----------------
>  (or check anything else - whatever)
>  and then fetch the values with
> ----------------
> $val1 = $conf['myproperty.']['value1'];  // dot!
> ----------------
>
>  So the dot is very important, without it it's not possible to
> distinguish
>  between the actual value and sub elements.
>  (it's not always useful but nice to have) ,-)

Thanks Wolfgang- I had managed (finally!) to figure this out in only
4358098342362436436 attempts at populating a TS form from an extension
;-)

One thing I still wonder - is this some special php syntax (and if so,
what is it, and where is it documented?), or are we just populating an
array with similarly named elements?

-Christopher