[Typo3-dev] Just another braindump ;)

Ernesto Baschny ernst at baschny.de
Mon Jun 7 16:03:02 CEST 2004

Hi!

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Juergen Egeling wrote:

> * Ernesto Baschny <ernst at baschny.de> [040607 09:43]:

> > It's not uncommon that small and medium-sized companies hire (cheap)
> > students (Werkstudenten) to do the "dirty work". And some of this
> > work include maintaining their web-page.

> Yes this is correct, but I don't think that companies that (ab)use
> students will make a big difference to the TYPO3 community. Even
> *if* they work with students, they should have 100-200 EUR to pay
> the student to attend an importand TYPO3 conference. If they do not
> have this money, why should we expect that those companies give
> *any* donation to TYPO3?

I didn't think that the conference was just a way to unite companies that
are potential donators, I thought the main purpose was to gather and
spread Typo3-Knowledge.

I won't be funded by any company, because I work by my own
("Selbstaendig") for a lot of different companies. None of those would
"sponsor" me. And I see many other friends of mine (studying Informatik)
doing the same.

Not speaking about the hundreds of students that just "hack" with Typo3
for fun at home just waiting to be able to show-off their knowledge as
soon as they enter the job market. The more knowledge and enthusiasm they
have, the more they will invest in bringing Typo3 to their future
employees.

Microsoft does the same thing with their products in the university: They
know that those students are very very interesting audience to their
product, because they are still not biased about any product or company
guidelines. So MS gives away licenses for their products for free, sponsor
PCs with full MS-stuff installed, provide conferences, courses etc. And I
can't see many companies that have more knowledge in making money than
MS. :)

Greets,
Ernesto