[Typo3-dev] braindump: TYPO3 foundation

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 17:00:25 CEST 2004

Sven Wilhelm wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> my first question, why do we need to discuss all things so much basic?
> Our discussion currently has a level of "do we want a wiki or a cms".
> I don't want to point out any person, that was ment neutral.
>
> Typo3 is young if a look across the net and to other projects. There are
> many projects that have hundreds of developers more working well
> coordinated together.

But i think we agree that TYPO3 (program and community) is at a stage at
which it will either grow lots or get too big and ill-organised and fall
over (being pesimistic).

> Examples that everyone knows:
> -> The Debian Project (very democratric in my mind)
> -> The Apache Project (is a foundation with a board of directors I think)

I really like the idea of using one of these models and i think it makes
the most sense. Lots of organisation is good.

> So why not look at those projects, get all the best ideas out of them.
>
> It could be democratic.
> It has to represent the project.
> It should organize the work of the main project and the subprojects
> ~  (I call egov and edu subprojects like they also exists in the
> ~   debian project, so these groups can fully concentrate on that
> ~   tasks)
> It should point a way where to go with the development work.
> The QA-Team should be an integrated part of that team or at least
> ~   one member of the QA.

Yes, yes,...

> It could have a Releasemanager that coordinate all the members working
> on essential or premium extensions to get well timed devel periods.

Yes

> If we have a foundation or a project leader, this would be the contact
> when organizing national conferences, etc...

Yes

> We also need a big seperate team for the events, but we have a central
> coordination that could help if there are questions....

Yes - and so the question is: how many people are interested? How should
membership work? What kinds of membership? ... I think that we agree we
need a professional organisation.

What we need to find out - for the benefit of those who will run it -
is: what do we want of such an organisation?

dan