[Typo3-dev] Just another braindump ;)

Sven Wilhelm wilhelm at icecrash.com
Sun Jun 6 19:53:18 CEST 2004

Hi *,

| Wow. People in Darmstadt must be really nuts about this cms.  ;)
| Don't you think you are putting way too much hope in a first
| conference?
| My guess would be a maximum of 150-250 people.
I'm not really to much enthusiastic, but in our first "normal"
Typo3-Presentation at DaTUG we had up to 50 visitors, in our first
workshop we have a limit of 20 people and have a second to organize the
next weeks because on the presentation evening we had up to 20
additional person whe were interested in. We did not advertise really much.

@Reiner Leiss
| If the city of Darmstadt (30 km south of Frankfurt/Main) is "in the
| middle of germany" for you, Darmstadt-Dieburg could invite
| the interested people for the suggested meeting in september.
Ok, I think we should keep this as a change starting up.

| But this sounds a lot like an exhibition, shouldn't the character of a
| conference be more or less educational and focused on development and
| implementation issues?
Right and wrong in my mind. Could be that the word conference is the
best word for such an evening.

I think many of the list agree that we could need up to 50 persons more
for several tasks/projects in Typo3 (image Kasper's thread "You are the
programmer" and how many extensions really were taken to other developers).
To get only a few more developers or say much more neutral contributers,
you have to make the project public at least to 500 people. Let only 10%
contribute to the project, that is really MUCH.

One of my ideas starting this thread was also to help make sponsoring
more easy. Let 10% of the interested companies sponsoring the project
neutral (not to a specific extension), that is much and only if we get
neutral sponsoring we break the cicle of the question "who pays for a
specific extension".

250 Person aren't really many people. In the first year we organize this
"event" across europe, maybe there are national "events" the years later.

I think up to 2000 people could be reached, but may I be wrong (20 new
developers, 20 new sponsors?).

A word to Hannover and Cebit.
In my mind that is not a really good place for people to keep in touch
with the project, for the commercials yes, but not for the most others.

Due to Jan's idea of two events.
Why not combine this like the cebit or linuxtag.

2 or 3 days:
- -------------
1. day:      Conference for companies/government/universities
2.(3.) day:  - Public presentation (partly the same)

At our University I think I could get the president be very interested
in that because of other internal sponsorship (Dual-mode University)
that has a budget of 100.000€ for internal projects (but why not a way
to also get sponsoring there).

@Jan:
ok I start a thread over german and english list, the devel-members can
also post on one of the two.

Greetings Sven