[Typo3-dev] Typo3 rebranding example

matthibcn matthi at quetalestas.com
Sat Jun 5 13:22:33 CEST 2004

Vyacheslav wrote:

>    Hi, All!
>
>    Today I found one beautiful link.
>
>    One of Russian developments studio http://www.profex.ru/ take
>    TYPO3 and rename it in XCMS and all copyright TYPO3 is been DELETED.
>    Top comment in produced HTML code is also changed.
>
>    Demo of "new" CMS you will find there
>    http://demo.profex.ru/cms/
>
>    And there http://profex.ru/solutions/web/cms/xcms/ you may find
>    description of "new" CMS, and see its price 430$.

Well, I also feel it isn´t correct to rebrand typo3, not only from the legal
point of view if not from a moral point of view. On the other side, beein a
russian company, I think there isn´t that much you can do to catch them.

And finally, where, a part from the pure legal apspects is the "damage" here
?

I mean, let them rebrand, they don´t do any favour to themselves. If they
claim it as their own product rather than telling the truth about the
openSource TYPO3 project it´s pure stupidity:

1) they are responsable for "their product" in front of their customers, so
they have to give warranty etc., and bugs are THEIR bugs, no excuse, a
"commercial product"...
2) they don´t take advantage from the good sound TYPO3 has, they are selling
a noname product, branded or not....
3) for the finished site they can´t charge more than any competitor using
TYPO3 as TYPO3 for free whether they charge 430 bucks for the software or
not, that´s the market
    if any potential customer get a TYPO3 offer, where typo3 itself comes
for free, he wouldn´t pay 4xx bucks, and if he doesnt know about, well,
noone lost a typo3 client
    and beeing like that they wouldnt pay anything to Kasper using typo3 for
making business anyway, so no damage here either

I just think, as you can´t do that much and as in fact it is just stupidity
to rebrand, I wouldn´t care that much, they will have a hard life to argue
for "their CMS" compared to openSource projects, especialy compared to typo3
;o)  all the day anyway

I think, if there is a russian company, building sites using "official"
TYPO3 as professionell as they build their sites, this problem would be out
of world very, very fast

just my 2cents

matthi