[Typo3-dev] How does passthrough in tca work??

Wolfgang Klinger wolfgang at stufenlos.net
Sun Jul 25 19:48:44 CEST 2004

 *hiya!*

 On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, Irene Höppner wrote the following:
> That means, without TCA-definition for the field 'module_sys_dmail_category'
> the field would never be updated, with another type than passthrough
> backend-users could change the field via the backend, which is probably not
> wanted by the extension author.

 Right.

 Assume the following:

    fields editable:
                        - name
                        - birthday

    fields with passthrough:

                        - secret

 So the extension author doesn't want the backend users to edit the
 "secret" field (e.g. he saves some statistic data in there).

 You might say "ok, if we save something to this field in our extension,
 why should we define it in the tca anyway?"

 Because of the special benefits (AND requirements) of logging and undo.
 (e.g. the statistics would fail because the "secret" field wouldn't get
 "undoed" too ;-))

 Maybe Kasper can add this example to the documentation...
 (if you got it now, Stig?) ;-)

 bye
 Wolfgang