[Typo3-dev] Trivial scalability test

Fernando de Alcantara Correia fernando at correiabr.net
Sun Jul 18 17:59:25 CEST 2004

> First; What is the penalty we pay by adding indexes? They are not for
> free. Each time we make UPDATE/INSERT or DELETE all indexes are modified
> by MySQL as well, so we have to analyse what balance is right for us! I
> have NO clue how great the penalty is!?

Hi Kasper. My opinion:

In most applications, including Typo3, the number of SELECTS vastly
outnumber the INSERTS, UPDATES and DELETES.

It is standard database design to include indexes at least for the more
frequently used fields.

The larger the table, the more important it becomes to use indexes.

Fernando Correia