[Typo3-dev] TYPO3 complexity in general

Ingmar Schlecht ingmars at web.de
Sun Jul 18 17:18:53 CEST 2004

Johannes Reichardt wrote:
> to me it feels partly like wonderful overkill which shows kaspers incredible capabilities of managing complexity, utilizing every single new web-programming goodie

I don't think that's true.

Of course Kasper has great capabilities of managing complexity, but as
far as new web trends are concerned Kasper is rather conservative (in a
good sense) and only uses techniques that provide actual value.
For example see the database abstraction debate.
Many considered it just "cool" and "must have", but Kasper has questined
the real advantage of it, and was critical about whether that'd
complicate things more than necessary.

> Let me take one example. The Mininews extension puts some styles on
> every single page which is completly unnecessary - but there is still no
> "general" way of applying different .js or .css src to the header of
> pages without making template extensions etc...

If you set the following line in TS, all CSS is put into an external
file, just perfect, if you ask me.
config.inlineStyle2TempFile = 1
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_tsref/quot_CONFIG_quot/

However, I think I got your point.
According to you, Typo3 does too many things you actually don't need and
don't want and some things confuse more than help.

That may be right in some cases, these cases have to be spotted and
removed/solved.

I suggest you just take the initiative to create a page on the Typo3
wiki (everyone can do that without registration, http://wiki.typo3.org)
on which you list all the things that should, according to you, be
removed, or made easier.

cheers,
Ingmar