[Typo3-dev] TYPO3 complexity in general

Johannes Reichardt mailbox at gramba.net
Sun Jul 18 16:01:06 CEST 2004

(sorry, didnt want to put this on the general list)

Hey there,

in the last weeks i turned from a typo3 novice into an intermediate
typo3 user (after 3 years ;)   - i am currently trying to write my own
plugin and to get a "big picture" of how to achieve what i want to
achieve in the best way.

Actually thats the point where i still have problems with typo3 - to me
it feels partly like wonderful overkill which shows kaspers incredible
capabilities of managing complexity, utilizing every single new
web-programming goodie, but on the other hand its just too complex and
options/featurerich for many purposes and "normal" users.

Let me take one example. The Mininews extension puts some styles on
every single page which is completly unnecessary - but there is still no
"general" way of applying different .js or .css src to the header of
pages without making template extensions etc...

So my point is, that typo3 could profit from being more easy, right now
it has come to a point where everything works, but on the other hand
many things are so extremly redundant that the learning curve is
becoming steeper and steeper. why not have an external stylesheet for my
extension?

Kasper wrote something about queries and the size of the database - that
seems like there will be made some changes to typo3 in the future which
might add even more complexity - i would like to take this chance and
put focus in general on the complexity of typo3 and upcoming versions -
easier is better.

Typo3 has the power to direct people in a "good way" of coding like it
partly does with the kickstarter, but this concept of having a framework
that allows neat coding only could be improved and features and options
could be removed in new versions - back to the roots ;)

(nevertheless amazing and i love it more every day i work with it, just
my 2 cents)

What you think? Is it a point or am i too lazy to learn tons of new
concepts?

- Johannes