[Typo3-dev] LDAP

Leendert Brouwer [Netcreators] leendert at netcreators.nl
Fri Jul 16 09:22:53 CEST 2004

>  I plead for a general API for authentication (both FE and BE)
>  so we could simply implement our own mechanisms through services, etc.
>
>  @see t3lib/class.t3lib_userauth.php
>
>  Ideas: eg.
>     authentication through/with
>     - external applications
>     - digital signature cards, etc.
>     - ...
>
>  ???

I plead for this too. An abstracted user authentication mechanism opens a
lot of doors. As soon as you can override the authentication mechanism
easily, you can interface with almost any existing authentication system as
long as it's open or has an open protocol (ldap, radius, apache, the list is
endless). It also makes it much easier to build webservices into typo3 (they
might need automated authentication, especially when these webservices are
used by ghost users (i.e. not actual humans), this will become useful in the
future). We'd be happy hackers if this happened. I'd be happier, anyway.

--
Leendert Brouwer
Programmeur

E. leendert at netcreators.nl