[Typo3-dev] LDAP

Steve Turnbull steve.turnbull at yhgfl.net
Thu Jul 15 19:03:15 CEST 2004

Hi

I hope that I am posting this to the correct group - appologies if not.

Our company, the YHGfL Foundation, is using Typo3. We also run our own mail
server, providing schools in the area with email. Our system is geared around LDAP.

Currently we offer a very basic Single User Sign On between our web site (Typo3)
and our mail server with the help of the 'eu_ldap' extension.

What we are looking towards is full LDAP intigration with Typo3, which would
allow for front-end and back-end and user/group administration.

It seems - correct me if I am wrong - that there are two possible routes forward.

a. Develop a more advanced extension in the way of the 'eu_ldap' extension which
would be a layer between the LDAP server and the Typo3 MySQL database.

b. Write the LDAP interaction into the core Typo3 source, esentially
'LDAP-ifying' the core Typo3 API?

The later idea would appear to be the best, but unless the Typo3 developers were
to take it upon themselves to have this as part of the ongoing development
programme, we would be left with a pretty much bespoke solution!

So, I put this question to you all...

If we were to fund the development of a project such as this;
1. Is integrating this into the Typo3 source feasable?
2. What would be our next steps?
3. What time scale would there be for testing etc?
4. Any thoughts from you guys?
5. Is there any ongoing LDAP projects currently being worked on where we could
collaborate?

PS
FYI, we are a non-profit making organistaion providing broadband services to
schools in the UK - part of the UK's Grid for Learning Scheme. www.yhgfl.net

Future projects will include Shiboleth - http://shibboleth.internet2.edu/

Regards
Steve