[Typo3-dev] Trivial scalability test

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 18:16:02 CEST 2004

I just wrote an extension to see if TYPO3 could handle >10000 records on
a page. Of course, it's fairly obvious that it would because but i
needed proof for marketing reasons.

This is my report.

Extension does:
     * . Drop down has new item "populate with content.." which
populates the page with approx 1000 records each time
     * . Plugin which displays it in a simple previous/next view on the
front end

I found:
     * . Population can take ages and die if it takes>30 sec - but is
total unimportant. Population of more than c100 records should be done
more cleverly. Useful to note that TYPO3 can cope with upto c5000 in one
go. This was all done using the TCE class.
     * . The list view for the page is slower, but still ok. And: you
would be mad to put 11648 (my current top - but i didn't push it at all
so it could certainly do more) on one page/list-view
     * . The frontend plugin is in no way slower
     * . The rest of the system (TYPO3 interface) is fine

Conclusion: TYPO3 can easily handle database tables with >10000 records
on the backend (admin / editorial) and the front (delivery/publication).

Notes: this was done on redhat on my 2Ghz laptop with 512ram and no
tuning. I suspect a Gentoo/debian system with MySQL tuned and using
indexes would be even better for the only problem which was the slightly
slow loading of the list-view on the page with records on.

Dan