[Typo3-dev] typo3 and japanese

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 21:04:45 CEST 2004

--- Kasper Skårhøj <kasper at typo3.com> wrote:
> I just spend a few days in Paris working on Japanese localization of
> website...
>
> What I came back with is this:
>
> utf-8 is OK for storage of information (very good and very
> important).
> shift-jis is preferred for display of information in the frontend
> (will
> be possible also, although it requires conversion forth/back which is
> error-prone).
> Graphics generation can easily be done if you have a japanese font.
>
> The biggest surprise to me was when they presented me with the fact
> that
> in japanese, korean and chinese text there are no spaces between the
> glyphs. So, how can the browse make a soft linebreak in the text?
> Well,
> by just breaking in any glyph sequense you like of course. But that
> is a
> problem, because words in these languages typically consist of a set
> of
> these glyphs and in order to break the line softly at the right spot
> you
> need to break *between* the glyphs that make up a word! Now, that is
> not
> a problem if you understand japanese text of course, but a computer
> doesn't and since there are no space characters between words like in
> western text there is no token by which browsers can divide words...
>
> Hmm, it was all very confusing and partly shocking to me... :-)

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying - there are definitely
spaces between the words in Korean text.

(Don't know if this will work... this:
&#53356;&#47532;&#49828;&#53664;&#54140; &#51077;&#45768;&#45796; says
"I am Christopher"  with a space between the first and second words.)

I can't actually type in Chinese, but I'm reasonably sure that it uses
spaces too (at least there are spaces between words on all of the pages
of Chinese text that I can find). Did I misunderstand what you meant?

-Christopher