[Typo3-dev] mySQL process timeout / max process number

Axel Joensson a.joensson at web.de
Tue Jan 27 15:43:22 CET 2004

Hello everybody,

I wasn't quite sure where to ask this so I post here.

I have today migrated a T3 3.5.0 website with all FE/BE user administration,
extensions, TS setup and whatsoever by dump to another server. The admin of
that machine was sitting aside, sometimes lending a hand, but basically
watching full of curiosity ;o) It was his first T3 installation, and though
it was about my third install now, it was the first in a livewired
environment. That machine is running SuSe 9.0, Apache 2.0.48 and PHP 4.3.3
with 1.6 GB RAM (unfortunately I forget to look for the mySQL version ...
necessary? Should be the latest, I guess ...).

That admin seemed a bit afraid about mySQL performance in heavy duty
environments with intense virtual hosting, lots of DB actions taking place
inside one basic myQSL installation etc., as that network is indeed hosting
thousands of domains. He wanted to know the following:

- Is there a way to define a timeout for mySQL processes, which where
initiated, but (possibly?) not terminated by T3/PHP requests? (I'd like to
add: Is something necessary? However, he showed me a process list with
about a dozen processes being at sleep)

- Is there a way to limit the maximum number of those before mentioned
processes in mySQL (without disabling T§ to run and work?)

Hope someone knows, as I only remember some lines in "Inside Typo3" talking
about performance of PHP in relation to DB activities.

Best regards,
Axel Jönsson.
--
E-mail to the "from"-address will be deleted without being read. For PM, use
the same recipient name at gmx dot net.