[Typo3-dev] Speaking URIs

Martin Poelstra martin at beryllium.net
Fri Jan 16 11:21:56 CET 2004

Hi Micheal,

> It would just be really, really nice if the URLs did not depend on any
> page ids, since they may change if you somehow dump and reload the database.

Well, good news: they don't :)
Only in the url-cache, which you would have to clear, or even better:
you'd then just set all cached urls to 'expired', so they will be
updated automatically. In the latter case you will keep the URLs to
pages that changed their names though, so that's good. (This will all be
more clear when I release the extension.)

> I think that it would be a good idea to add a new field for the symbolic
> name that is used to build the URL. If people are leaving it empty, the
> mapping-algorithm described is used on the page title. If there are
> conflicting names, none of them should work. The page maintainer can
> then resolve the conflict by entering the names he or she wants to use
> in the CMS.

Well, in fact it is rather inefficient to let the extension figure out
this ambiguity when it is construcing URLs, because it then has to look
at all pagetitles in all pages along the rootline. It would be a much
better idea to detect this when you save a page and then either give an
error or warning, or automatically 'fill in that extra field'.
I don't think you want to bother your users or admins with filling in
this extra field.

But I actually don't really see a case where different pages will have
the same name AND the same PID, except maybe for the root-page of
domains, but they don't get included in the URL anyway (because they
'are' /), so they're not a problem.

I would like to plead for the solution where we just disable the
possibilty of having pages with both the same name AND the same PID. The
detection should be done when saving the page in the backend.

Grtz,
Martin