[Typo3-dev] osCommerce extension "project"

Gabriel Anast gabriel at anast.org
Sun Feb 29 20:29:09 CET 2004

Daniel--

>The next steps:
>Write up a project description pointing out the benefits, the necessary
>steps, the workload and what you need to get it done.
>
>Then we'll discuss it and put it on it's own project page.
>If you have your team together, I can create that in the respective section
>of the teams &projects page. I need your usernames mailed to me in private
>for that.

Very well. Thanks for your reply. We will put together a tentative
project description, and get you the team members as they stand now.

Masi--

>I'd say yes if you find programmers within the osCommerce team that will provide some kind of a (stable!) API.

I'm not sure that will happen. The osCommerce API is rudimentary at
best... and not what I would call an API. We will have to use Typo3 for
any kind of API, and initially will probably not use one at all as we
will run osCommerce "native" in a wrapper. However, we hope that this
project will open a dialog with osCommerce developers that may allow us
to move in that direction.

>I guess you'll want to use Typo3 for FE rendering. At least that's that I would want to. Doesn't make sense if osCommerce has business logic in it's display code.

You are correct there, and osCommerce *does* have business logic in its
display code. It is completely meshed, however, it is uniform! In other
words, even though there is almost no data/layout abstraction, once you
get a feel for osCommerce code you can methodically separate it out for
the most part. Its not ideal, but its better than a lot of code I have seen.

>From what I've heard it's a sucker to adapt, because it doesn't use (any kind of) template system. I've seen myself the bill generating code. A mess of HTML entangled with PHP. But I don't know how old this particular version was.

Fortunately there are two templating systems that are germinal but a
good starting point nevertheless. The better one (IMO) is called the
"Basic Template System" and will probably be the basis for feeding our
first version to Typo3 rendering using Typo3 markers or maybe the auto
templating tool based on a sanitized osCommerce template (speaking off
the top of my head here).

>So I think it just isn't worth the hassle if you'd have to rewrite/rehack large parts of your glue code whenever a new osCommerce version is out.

In our first attempt we will rehack as little as possible. Once we have
a version that will nicely display in a Typo3 website, I believe that we
will go back and attempt a more fundamental reworking. At this point we
will have to share development standards with the osCommerce team. Even
if we had to rewrite every piece of the core, thus obviating any real
synchronicity with osCommerce updates, there are still a lot of
"contribution" writers out there that would love a real API. Finally,
there are always more ready hands than you can imagine in the osCommerce
community... its almost unbelievable how aggressive the community as a
whole is. If I don't have an idea that will work (more likely than not)
there will be someone else who will dream something up.