[Typo3-dev] LPE-some ideas

"Jörg-Alexander Roth [mediaDIALOG]" mail at zeusmedia.de
Mon Feb 23 20:48:40 CET 2004

Sebastian Kurfuerst schrieb:

> I thought about this, too, but just imagine the following case:
> I have a site without frames and the navigation is shown on every page.
> I have the following page structure:
> |.B
> |-C
>
> I have published all of them as static html files.
> Now I want to change something on page B, but I don't want to publish
> the changes yet. Of course there is the hidden feature for that, but I
> would have to duplicate the content element with one hidden and one
> not hidden. Bad idea I think.
> Now I create a new page D on the pagetree. So all menus of the pages
> A, B and C change. So I have to republish the page B, with all changes
> I made and I didn't want to be visible. That's the problem I ran into
> when thinking about the possibilities I have.

Well, recording or -storing- the changed values since the last publish
process won't be that hard. Even if you do some really weird stuff, all
changed records will be published. It doesn't matter if you change the
tree, add new pages, sort them, upload new images and so on. Every
process will be recorded and executed. Sure in some cases it will be
difficult to handle it. But for the somewhat dynamic ideas you've got
you will get in heavy trouble.

>> - Include all related files or only new ones
>
> That's the biggest problem when including related files.

As I mentioned above: Pic changed? Modified? Then send them along also.

>> Static files will do the job. Creating an LPE is one thing but for
>> the future development of T3 there should be an eye on the speed.
>> Especially for the sake of larger sites (500+ pages and high visitor
>> count).
>
> Yeah, and the best thing for that is having a second T3 installation
> which just handles the FE, so we can use _all_ features of T3 IMO.

Splitting FE and BE...nope.

Yes, I do get the point. I know about the difficulties updating a menu
and so on. Just a thought: SSI. Menu separated from the rest. Doh,
that's low-level... :)

But to keep up with your dynamic idea: Create a totally new frontend
parser. Fill all data straight from xml which will be moved/updated on
live server. Images, Text, Multimedia - everything's inside. Related
files will be also moved. All features will be available, menu buttons
are created automatically again on the live server. But there we got
stuck again with the extensions.

Conclusion: Won't be that easy at all and a lot of thoughts must be done.

Regards,

Jörg