[Typo3-dev] LPE-some ideas

Sebastian Kurfuerst sebastian at garbage-group.de
Mon Feb 23 13:41:54 CET 2004

Hi,
> First of all I *could* get very deep into detail, but I'm sad to say
> that I can't because of an NDA I've signed. But I'm able to give some
> more or less detailed hints...
Thank you for that :-)

> So do we need another T3 install on the live system? I don't think so.
> Let's get the idea behind a LPE. TYPO3 stores content of all kind in
> database. It uses a chache concept to retreive information once and not
> for each user browsing the site. Why? To get it faster and more
> reliable. Your idea grabs just a identically database to reproduce the
> content.. Doh - do we get redundant? What's up with the cache?
No, of course we get _a bit_ retundant. But also the caching means load
to the server. If you have millions of pageviews and 100 BE users at the
same time, just imagine, the BE will stop the FE from working.

> Let's see what we've got: TYPO3 with the ability to produce static
> files. Plain HTML. Currently only on the system where T3 runs.
Yeah, it would be no problem to move them to the live server. For that,
there is a static publish extension from outraxx.

> Bit
> buggy. Wouldn't it be quite easier to publish those static files to a
> live server? Wouldn't it be quite easier to modify T3 this way?
I thought about this, too, but just imagine the following case:
I have a site without frames and the navigation is shown on every page.
I have the following page structure:
|.B
|-C

I have published all of them as static html files.
Now I want to change something on page B, but I don't want to publish
the changes yet. Of course there is the hidden feature for that, but I
would have to duplicate the content element with one hidden and one not
hidden. Bad idea I think.
Now I create a new page D on the pagetree. So all menus of the pages A,
B and C change. So I have to republish the page B, with all changes I
made and I didn't want to be visible. That's the problem I ran into when
thinking about the possibilities I have.

> - Include all related files or only new ones
That's the biggest problem when including related files.

> Static files will do the job. Creating an LPE is one thing but for the
> future development of T3 there should be an eye on the speed. Especially
> for the sake of larger sites (500+ pages and high visitor count).
Yeah, and the best thing for that is having a second T3 installation
which just handles the FE, so we can use _all_ features of T3 IMO.

-Sebastian