[Typo3-dev] t3lib_div::getURL (chiefly via extension manager) is choking to death!

Azure Mallone wsolsticela at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 02:42:02 CET 2004

Hey there...

I'm having some issues that aren't too alien around here regarding the Extension Manager and access to the repository. Unfortunately, I don't have the access to edit my php.ini on my hosted site so I can't use the basic fix of boosting my execution time or memory size. So yeah, I suffer the 8Mb Limit too.

Now I know that there's been some work towards fixing this, but the problem for me is mainly due to the fact that I can't make those fixes. Is there a work around available that doesn't require boosting this size (which I think will only be temporary until the repository grows in size again) or is there any work going on to resolve this problem?

I found that even if you get past the Repository problem by downloading the T3X files, then uploading them into the system, if you install too many into the extension manager that same problem of the page expiring before it displays. So yeah, I suppose limiting what you have installed is good, but I was hoping to test a few of these extensions and now I don't have a working Extension Manager. I'll have to go into my system and delete a few extensions I suppose...

One thing I experimented with, and I think I isolated the problem for you guys, was the following library: t3lib/class.t3lib_div.php

The function of getURL is written pretty simply if you're getting a file that's under your memory limit (it stuffs the entire got file into a single variable). That is what is flooding out. I tried implementing a bucket system -- which seemed to boost performance in execution time, but it only made the 8Mb limit fill up and display the dreaded "Action Cancelled" page faster... My best suggestion, which I haven't the time to try right now, but maybe when I get back in tonight, is to pagenate the data being streamed into the getURL function if it reaches or nears the memory limit in the php.ini file. Then you can simply "next page" the rest of the data much like how the maillist threads on the Typo3 site works.

It's got to be a simple matter of a caching the stream to a file (maybe the tmpfile(); command?) and then paging the data back if it's at that memory limit? Maybe reduce the amount of data being pumped through Extension Manager into getURL? Either case, that's what seems to be killing Extension Manager, not the execution time.

Thoughts? Info? Assistance? Lemme know...

- Azure Mallone (miyu)