Workflow WAS Re: [Typo3-dev] DBAL - how to do it?

Marc Schlienger smarc at gmx.net
Thu Feb 19 13:22:41 CET 2004

Hi Dan,

I would also be interested to hear more about your stuff:

1- workflow
2- Java integration

If it kicks me, I would also like to contribute to the development of the
workflow app. Have you been looking at jBPM, phpCollab, or more of these at
SourceForge? Should we rewrite the whole stuff? Or should we try to integrate
some existing tools as extensions?

More generally I'd be very interested in providing a way to bind external
tools (in whichever language, java, php, python, etc.) in Typo3. I've already
been thinking about it, but it would require some more time to get a first
draft of a solution. Or maybe I'm just not aware of it, but it might already
exist in some way in Typo3??? Any hints for an "open-language/tool-extension"
girls/guys?

I know that you can integrate pretty much everything using an iframe, but
the knowledge of each other systems (Typo3 -- external) is too loose to make
the things work together intelligently. It's possible to hack a solution, but
it would be a significant step towards integration if an API is provided. I've
also heard about the services from René, and I imagine that this could part
of the solution. For instance, this is what could/should be organized between
Typo3 and an external dingyboumtralala tool (like Workflow):
- user management
- synchronized search
- content linking on a page basis
- backend administration of some settings
- frontend view with possibly edit functionality
- ...

and it could be realized in some kind of (Web)Service technology (with XML
and all the friends).

In the background of this discussion concerning DBAL, I did not join the
palabre, but I'd also be for using it, at least for new code fragments, new
extensions, etc. It is certainly possible to achieve good results in two steps:
first for some new coding, and then, if successfull, progressively for the
rest (core), but only where it MAKES SENSE (which is not absolutely everywhere).

Hope to hear from you,

cheers,
Marc