[Typo3-dev] DBAL - how to do it?

Georg Kuehnberger georg_ml at kuehnberger.com
Thu Feb 19 01:48:36 CET 2004

Chaps,

Appologies for jumping into the discussion so late;

At 21:35 16.02.2004, Michael Zedeler wrote:
 >Well - being able to run on other databases isn't that bad. In some
coorporations, this is a dealmaker.

Just having had two client meetings lately, both of them having
incorporated a s policy that no other RDBMS than * shall be used.

Asking them for the reason of their issues with MySql / their fears simply,
results in variations of:
	- "we've paid XXXX for the RDBMS so we have to leverage the investment"
		+ "would you like to add another task to the XXX_expensive RDBMS-Admin-Crew?"
			+ no
		+ "would you like to add another task to the XXX_expensive RDBMS-Admin-Crew?"
			+ no
		+ ("poor you")
	- "we don't have the in-house-knowledge for administrating another RDBMS."
		+ "you don't need it, as you won't be confronted with the RDBMSat all."
			+ whow !
	- "does your DB offer feature the following requirements: (.....) ?"
		+ "do the business-needs of the application [that is CMF/S] match the
needs you are talking about?"
			+ no
	- "the needed application hast to gather/post data to/from our exsiting RDBMS"
		+ "great - php as 'middleware' and XML offers all connectors you might
think of"
			+ "whow, so your appication won't touch our administrative processes ?"
				+ "right"
					+ "cool"

Guess you get the picture.

My personal conclusion is, that the current discussion is:
	- definitely right in regards to the "DBAL the sooner the better" (from a
tech perspective) however this argument missing the below;
	- pretty much missing the current market-needs perspective, that is (as
already mentioned)
		- the mysql/ab  sap/db  max/db future & the proxy being promised
		- not calculating, that despite those corporations having their
IT-product-policies, they also definitiely avoit putting yet some more load
on there RDBS and especially the DB-Admin-Crew, AND
		- preferr to have some decent interfaces (as already existing) from there
RDBMS to the "new application";

Just my late 1,96 cents,
regards Georg

PS: Lately we even considered  not to talk at all about MySQL as the
underlying RDBMS, with THAT kind of clients, simple for the reason, that
mentioning the word "DB" only pops up another stumbleblock; think
ZOPE's  ... ZODB ....  - you get the picture;