[Typo3-dev] Doctype - XML Prolog

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 22:28:21 CET 2004

Hello Gordon,

--- Gordon Mickel <g.mickel at mkb.net> wrote:

> Yes that does solve the problem. My point, though, is that imho there
> is
> no point in putting the xml version line anywhere if it isn't the
> first
> thing in the document, so we might as well leave it out completely.
> As I said before, maybe I'm wrong here and someone can point me to an
>
> alternative URL that says something about putting the xml line AFTER
> the
> DOCTYPE declaration.
>
> Quirky greetz
> Gordon

You're right. According to w3c-
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml-20040204/#sec-prolog-dtd)

"[Definition: XML documents SHOULD begin with an XML declaration which
specifies the version of XML being used.]" (note the word 'begin')

As xhtml is meant to be a flavour of xml, it doesn't make much sense to
have the xml declaration anywhere but the beginning...

Also on the subject of xhtml & 3.6, I haven't checked out the latest
source, but in 3.6RC1 there was only the option for xhtml 1.0
transitional...does anybody know if 1.0 strict will be an option in the
final version?

-Christopher