[Typo3-dev] DBAL - how to do it?

Michael Zedeler michael at zedeler.dk
Tue Feb 17 00:46:31 CET 2004

Hi Kasper,

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:

> I'm not opposed to DBAL but I'm just realistic about implications.

A basic DBAL that does not offer neither object persistence nor security
can be implemented along the same lines that the language dependent
strings are done. Another thing to throw into the equation is prepared
statements, but I suppose all relevant databases support them.

> I don't care much for object persistence. Not my style of coding, seems to add lots of overhead. I'm more down-to-earth for that. I never liked it.

Hmmmm....

To a hammer everything looks like a nail.

> And using MySQL exotic features; The most advanced SQL I have had to write was joins and usage of AVG, SUM and COUNT in queries - and subselects which we unfortunately don't have. But the point: Even if MySQL would forever be the TYPO3 database, I'm not in support of MySQL specific SQL on a deeper level if it can be solved in a more general way; because why make it harder to do DBAL in the future it one should decide to?

I think it would be a very good idea to decide either to go for the DBAL
right now or skip it entirely. Marrying MySQL can be a good deal.
They're rapidly adding new features that can be really nice to use.

Btw: the pseudo one-to-many fields in typo3 (comma separated lists of
foreign keys) fit snugly with most of the set operators, such as the
FIND_IN_SET function in MySQL.

Why not just do it?
--
Velkommen til det muntre køkken!