[Typo3-dev] DBAL - how to do it?

Karsten Dambekalns k.dambekalns at fishfarm.de
Mon Feb 16 11:54:43 CET 2004

Hi!

On 2004-02-15, Kasper Skårhøj <kasper at typo3.com> wrote:
> Recently one of the arguebly largest TYPO3 projects done by a quite
> huge cooperation announced a revised list of priorities to me:
> A year ago they asked for DBAL. This has specifically been turned
> down because it doesn't add a single practical feature to TYPO3
> itself and the requirement was only political.
>
> Puts things into perspective...

Right. And on top of the whole DBAL discussion: It *is* nice to be
able to run it on different databases, but if you decide to rely on
*one* product, you can just go ahead an use special features offered
by that product. This can make a big difference...

On the other hand, if you have a DBAL but don't make use of any nice
features PostgreSQL or Oracle have to offer, what do you gain? Not
much, aside from a nice buzzword to print on the box (if you print
one).

Just my 2 cents,
Karsten