[Typo3-dev] DBAL - how to do it?

Michael Zedeler michael at zedeler.dk
Sun Feb 15 22:01:28 CET 2004

Hi Kasper and list,

Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> For everyday that passes by MySQL is becoming more accepted, even in large cooperations.
>
> Recently one of the arguebly largest TYPO3 projects done by a quite huge cooperation announced a revised list of priorities to me:
>
> - Caching management
 > [more non-DBAL-features here]
> - Workflow
>
> A year ago they asked for DBAL. This has specifically been turned down because it doesn't add a single practical feature to TYPO3 itself and the requirement was only political.
>
> Puts things into perspective...

It definately does. I would prefer the DBAL, but also believe that Typo3
could do without it too. I just think that in that case a descision
should be made to rest heavily on MySQL and never look back again. This
will make it possible for developers to use some of the more exotic
features of MySQL without worrying about future compatibility problems.

Another thing: DBAL is being seen as the ability to switch databases
seamlessly. I see that part as the *least* important feature. Security
and better support for object persistence is by far the greatest benefits.

As I sketched in my previous post, the task is getting bigger as time
goes by, so I think it would be a good idea to make a descision whether
to do it or not. Since it is a fairly big change that needs many hands,
it is important that everybody agrees to go for it.

In your previous post you're asking for a working example - I'll think
about how to use PEAR for object persistence in fe plugins (just to get
started) *if* a descision is made that DBAL is supposed to be
incorporated by 3.7.0.
--
Velkommen til det muntre køkken!
Dagens ret: pasta med silde-banansovs.