[Typo3-dev] Templa Viola and users

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 17:50:15 CET 2004

I've been looking at the data structres behind templa viola and thought
that this would be a good way to build multiple views on a give bit of
data really quickly and easily.

For example, say we have a page with five pieces of information:

Page
  +- myName
  +- myPhoneNumber
  +- myAddress
  +- myHeight
  +- myInterests

Now, all this infoormation could be assembled by "me", and filtered out
my mapping only some on it to the output (html) template.

So for user A (my boss, for example) the page would display:

Page
  +- myName
  +- myPhoneNumber
  +- myAddress

But for my friends:

Page
  +- myName
  +- myPhoneNumber
  +- myInterests

Ok, it's a silly example - but this shows that templa viola can do any
mapping that XSLT can do. All I need to know is: how to make the switch
between templates based on some user-end variable (e.g. user-group or
what-ever).

You could also use this for showing client the re-design of their site,
with the live content/site without having to duplicate the whole site!

dan