[Typo3-dev] Mirroring typo3.org etc.

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Thu Feb 5 20:23:07 CET 2004

Hi Jan,

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [netfielders] schrieb am  5.02.2004 um 13:12 Uhr CET

> > please go ahead. personally I would like to know how others solve
> > this non-trivial issue.
>
> With commercial solutions !
>
> All which has been discussed here is no option at all, as you can't
> keep installations in sync properly over distance. There would be a
> solution:
>
> For the filesystem, search for block-devices. There are open source
> tools which do that one way, there are commercial tools which do it
> both ways. But this is far to expensive ! Seriously. This is even much
> more then the mysql-solution we are going to use.

We(hostsharing.net/german) will evaluate DRBD pretty soon, which seems
to be very promissing. It will probably take a couple of month though
till we come up with a result.
http://www.drbd.org/start.html
http://www.linbit.com/de/article/articleview/54/1/6

> For the database backend, there is emic networks, providing a good
> commercial solution, which we are testing at the moment. We'll go
> online with that within the next 2 weeks if our tests work out fine.
> MySQL has been the bottleneck with the huge database, which ended up
> in a loop while exporting data via mysqldump ;) (Raid, Filesystem,
> myisamchk, all went fine and did not report errors)
>
> -> www.emicnetworks.com
>
> Believe me, there is no proper way syncing two installations in
> realtime for a proper failover. If you come up with a _working_
> version of something the like, it could be discussed again. But I
> don't think this will be possible with the tools available.

Well, we are facing the same problem and are still looking for a gpl'ed
solution, since payware is no real choice for our business. There
must be a solution. Anyway if you are facing that much of a problem with
mysql, DRBD might not be of any help I believe. Have you
had a look at DRBD yet? Haven't you tried heartbeat already for some
purpose? Can't find that anymore.

Actually this is HA(High availability) not "mirroring" but afaik it can
go over distance as long as there is a proper bandwith.

Cheers,
PeterN
--
Peter Niederlag