[Typo3-dev] Mirroring typo3.org etc.

Christoph Moeller moeller at network-publishing.de
Thu Feb 5 13:23:52 CET 2004

Rutger Meekers schrieb:

> i discussed with some people, and i was wrong about that mirror tool, it's
> only used for local mirrors in the same datacenter.
> but they said that rsync is no problem, because when de whole site is
> mirrored once, rsync will only tranfer the files that are changed. so this
> reduces useless traffic. php.net uses also rsync to keep theirs mirrors up
> to date, and we are talking over lot's of mirrors and huge db's.

Thanks for your investigation. rsync is a nice tool indeed, but this
doesn't solve any of the two-way syncing problems that were pointed out
in other previous mails.

We'd need to build not only a "dump-to-the-slaves" setup, but also a
"merge-back-changes-from-slaves-to-master" solution - and this is where
(IMO) all open tools fail due to lack of algorithm.

Chris

--
network.publishing
internet & network service