[Typo3-dev] Mirroring typo3.org etc.

Rene Suthoelder t3 at 1zu6-design.de
Thu Feb 5 12:42:50 CET 2004

"Mathias Schreiber [k1net]" <ms at netfielders.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:mailman.1.1075980030.16207.typo3-dev at lists.netfielders.de...

> > sorry but if you desperatly need an extension just before some
> > deadline and you dont have another server where you can fetch that
> > extension I imagine you do something wrong. ;)
>
> I didn't dare to write what you said, because I thought I'd be Mr. Bad Guy
> again ;-)

maybe you got me wrong: TER was down several times - i already had fetched
my extensions before  =:o)

> > Yes, mirror would be very nice but apparently none came up with a
> > technical solution for this that is affordable and managable I guess.
>
> Nice-to-have but not mission critical.
> I mean, simply set up a local server and kick your apprentice to update it
> each morning.
> Maybe even write an extension that updates all extensions.

how could your apprentice update your local mirror if TER is down =:o)
and what if you do not have such an apprentice?

i think the point in this is:
current typo3 system is hardcoded to work with only one specific TER server.
what happens if this one server fails and would be down for a week or so?
would that be mission critical ? i think so.

why not mirror files to different servers? i mean, look at the apache
project: could they live with just one server? of course not. and for a file
based replication/mirror you always would find someone willing to host the
files.

just my 2 cents.

rene

besides: your idea of writing a extension which locally mirrors TER
extensions would be an aproach - i would like to have such an extension !!!