[Typo3-dev] Clarification about DBAL

Karsten Dambekalns k.dambekalns at fishfarm.de
Tue Aug 24 15:19:27 CEST 2004

Hi,

On 2004-08-24, Ries van Twisk <typo3 at rvt.dds.nl> wrote:
>>> On 2004-08-24, Mathias Schreiber [wmdb >] <ms at wmdb.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> The installer sets the sql dumps right for oracle, adabas, syquest etc?
>>> That is INDEED cool!

Yes, it is... :)

> I have seen the way and worked a little with how AdoDB solves that problem using
> there Adodb-xmlschema and that looks very promising. This will make the DBAL

This isn't used. It would require to have the table definitions in
XML, which we don't. We have plain MySQL dumps.

> extreemly portable so the typo3 (extention)developers do not need to focus on
> 'will the SQL convert right to <name a RDMBS>'.

To make this possible we 'route' all data types through the metatype
stuff ADOdb offers, instead.

> Also all new extentions can be made pluggable that way. The schema allows you to
> add/remove columns on the fly to which is what typo3 needs on some extentions.

This hasn't been extensively tested, but installing some simple
extensions worked right away :)

> This ofcourse will limit typo3 to and will only support what adodb will support
>  on there backend.

Given the long list of supported databases I wouldn't call this a
limit.

Karsten