[Typo3-dev] singletons instead of pre-loaded objects

Leendert Brouwer [Netcreators] leendert at netcreators.nl
Thu Aug 12 15:06:18 CEST 2004

Hi Kasper,

> But I do agree with many of Leenderts points, but the discussion just
> reminds me of all the insufficiencies, rather than motivates for change.
> I haven't had a single "Oh, I never though of that" moment in this
> thread, only a very discouraging feeling that I rather want to leave it
> all and do something else in my life. Remember; 5-6 years of dedicated
> development on a single thing, having sacrificed a lot for the sake of
> the project (=all of you); It is of course rewarding but no dance on
> roses. It has worn me out, made me tired and subjectively sensible. Each
> time I try to tell you all "Focus on extensions, focus on extensions" it
> is because I want to divert you away from this itchy, negative spot and
> focus on the area where the positive opportunities for the future are!

I'm sorry if I upset you in any way, I never meant to. I'm just a developer,
I'm interested in technology more than statistical succes. I'm personally
more interested in engineering theory than in anything else. That's probably
why I sound negative. Obviously TYPO3 has a lot of success. Thousands of end
consumers are very grateful, I'm sure. Disregard the light some meaningless
coder sheds on the lesser aspects of the core architecture and do your
thing, I'd say. Yes, a core rewrite is a massive amount of work, and I
wouldn't suggest it either. I'm just telling things as I see them, and
describe things I run into when I have to override core behaviour in my
extensions.

> If any of you think that we can basically "renovate" the whole core over
> the next years to a totally OO design, then I don't think that is worth
> the effort. If you disagree with this I want to remind you that I know
> how big a job it has been until now to keep all of it in balance.

I totally agree with you there.

> So the bottom line is:
> - TYPO3s core will not change fundamentally.
> - New extensions *could* introduce more modern designs internally, but
> this depends on the developers of those extensions. (This is
> "possibility-land" - go, inhabit it!)

My own extensions are fully OO. Some even have accompanying unit tests and
so on. I run into trouble when I have to override core behaviour, or try to
find out things, or when I need to learn things about the system. It's just
hard because for me, the architecture is not intuitive. But we already
discussed that.

> Actually, making the rewrite is not a new idea. We had that on a meeting
> in Düsseldorf last september. I was actually quite thrilled about it for
> a day or two - just until I came home to the real-world problems. Then I
> realized that such a project would take 1-2 years for 5 developers to
> complete to a level where it would be worth using instead of the "old"
> TYPO3 system.

And then you'd have the extensions issue, still.

> In Denmark we have a saying that "One bird in the hand is
> better than 10 on the roof" - and therefore I'm personally staying with
> our insufficient, poorly designed, old-fashioned but very capable and
> extendable CMS "TYPO3 first generation".

Apparently it's sufficient enough, or else not that many sites would be
running TYPO3. Again, I'm just a developer. I don't think I experience the
end-user experience. It's like living in a house that is fine to live in,
just not really practical to modify and see through afterwards when you're a
carpenter. I'm the annoyed carpenter :)

Regards,
Leendert