[Typo3-dev] singletons instead of pre-loaded objects

Martin T. Kutschker Martin-no5pam-Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Thu Aug 12 20:31:49 CEST 2004

Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since this is probably my fault - could you give some nice examples
> where the design of TYPO3 is bad, and how it could be improved? To me
> it looks quite OO, to be honest. Lots of classes, nicely encapsulating
> methods, fetching an instance my makeInstance(), ...

Many classes are just "namespaces" for functions (eg t3lib_div), some
are just way too huge (tslib_content!) and mix up different
functionality (eg the mail composing classes also send the mails) or
have too much functionality (piBase has more stuff then your average
plugin needs).

Some points are not real issues, but eg tslib_cObj is very hard to
extend just because of its size (and its - sorry - not really good
designed from an OO viewpoint).

But well, here we are. It works and is good enough.

IHMO it'd be "fairly easy" to eg replace the mail classes with newer
ones or create a new plugin base. Other things may be much more
difficult but not impossible (eg objTS by Dan Frost).

Masi