[Typo3-dev] New content element - div container

Toni Milovan tmilovan at efpu.hr
Wed Aug 11 07:12:07 CEST 2004

Hello list,

>From recently I'm doing tableless css based design and have found that
approach very rewarding. You can have content columns just by wrapping
your content in div tags.

Now there is a concept I would like to discuss and possibly see
implemented in typo3....

Let's say I would like to have a record type that would act as div
selector around any number of page records. For example:
On one page I have 10 text records that I want now to be displayed in
two columns: 6 in first, 4 in second... all I have to do is to create
css id selectors and then to wrap first 6(or whatever) records in <div
id="firstcol"> and second four in <div id="secondcol">. That way I can
without changing the template change my content area into two columns
layout....

That can be done by using raw html content record but I find this is not
very elegant way to do it.... Instead, having a record type "div
container" that you can insert around and between content records I
found much more pleasing way to do it...
For example:
You choose: insret record >div container > fill in the name of your css
id selector in and this is it. Now you have:
record 1
record 2
record 3
<dov id="secondcol">
record 1
record 2

...and you are free to change layout of your typo3 content any way you
whish just by changing css...

Finally, my questions:
- Do you find this approach can be usefull in typo3?
- How complicated can be to implement this content type?
- Is there anyone that is willing to do it? :))
- Does someting similar exist already in typo3?

Thanks,

Toni