[Typo3-dev] singletons instead of pre-loaded objects

Leendert Brouwer [Netcreators] leendert at netcreators.nl
Wed Aug 11 09:58:57 CEST 2004

Hi Ernesto,

> I agree with your points in favor of OO, but you also have to look it from
> the pointview of someone that is not interested in OO-type of development,
> which is the case of Kasper: You develop your own style and way of doing
> stuff that is solved differently in OO, but still it:
>
> - works
> - is fast
> - is mature
> - is what the author feels is right

Well, I can't argue with reality, can I? :) My opinion only differs
dramatically on the the maturity part. My perspective on a mature design
might differ from yours. It goes beyond just that "it works" for me.

> If you have
> Typo3-background, you don't need OO-background.

That's a painful statement. You oppose the particular design of one
application to a widely accepted methodology such as OO, and say one
shouldn't argue with the superiority (excuse the exaggeration of words) of
the first.

> Of course then there is a
> much more urgent need of proper documentation that explains not just HOW
> to do stuff, but also what the author was thinking when implementing it
> this way.

Not really, one of the points of OO is abstraction, thus eliminating large
part of the need to know everything about internals.

> > - seamless communication
>
> The Typo3-vocabulary is also very rich and also ensures communication, if
> there is a place where you can read what is meant by the terms.

Yes, countless acronyms and understandings that are only known in the TYPO3
world. Sure, if you've been in there for years all those terms might seem
common to you. Just like chinese is common to chinese people, and english is
to the world (replace 'chinese' with TYPO3, and 'english' with OO, see what
I mean?).

Kind regards,
Leendert