[Typo3-dev] singletons instead of pre-loaded objects

Ernesto Baschny ernst at baschny.de
Tue Aug 10 17:14:26 CEST 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Leendert Brouwer [Netcreators] wrote:

> > increasing number of core/extension developers which like OO more than
> > me. Personally, I'm kind of "lost" in this regard. I have my coding
> > style and will not change it just for fun, only if there are something
> > real to gain.
> >
> > - kasper

> There is something real to gain. The advantages OO (and related concepts)
> has to offer :) Especially in a highly extendable system such as TYPO3, a
> proper design and seamless communication is essential, imho. If you take a
> look at those 2 points:
> - proper design

I agree with your points in favor of OO, but you also have to look it from
the pointview of someone that is not interested in OO-type of development,
which is the case of Kasper: You develop your own style and way of doing
stuff that is solved differently in OO, but still it:

- works
- is fast
- is mature
- is what the author feels is right

In this case, there is little point to changing how it works just to make
it more confortable for people that have OO-background. If you have
Typo3-background, you don't need OO-background. Of course then there is a
much more urgent need of proper documentation that explains not just HOW
to do stuff, but also what the author was thinking when implementing it
this way.

> - seamless communication

The Typo3-vocabulary is also very rich and also ensures communication, if
there is a place where you can read what is meant by the terms.

> Anyway, yes, it's a huge amount of effort with no practical gain for the end
> consumer directly (in the long run maybe, when the development process
> starts to create opportunities).

I would love to see a CMS in PHP developed with OO in mind, using fancy
patterns and well chosen classes and inheritance, but I think this has to
come from the ground up. Mixing both styles doesn't help.

Cheers,
Ernesto