[Typo3-dev] CVS question, was t3lib_extMgm::addToTCAtypes ?

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Tue Sep 30 21:43:17 CEST 2003

"Kasper Skårhøj" wrote:

> BTw, this is a good example of how a suggestion improves TYPO3 BUT MUST BE
> REVIEWED by me - if martin had CVS access to the source and could make
> this addition himself it would add an unnecessary functions to TYPO3
> rather than changing an existing. I'm not saying this to point out martin
> as a bad coder at all, please notice that. My only point is that this is a
> very very common example of how good suggestions can be made better and
> needs my review when they go into the core.

I agree! But...

> Question: Under the demand that I would require to do the implementation
> of martins suggestion as above, how could CVS in any way help us? I can
> only see that as a road block since the code must pass through my eyes
> anyways!

I think it's just like Linux development. Every code change is revisited by
Linus Thorvalds (right?).
Although the Kernel hackers don't use CVS, they use afaik a tool named
Bitkeeper (which is not the same but still very similar to CVS).

These are some advantages I see in CVS:

- Who says that the suggestion will be the definitive code just after it has
  been added?

- Other people could look at the code and improve it _before_ you look at
  it. This can save you a lot of time, and it could (just in theory ;-)) be
  the same case with code from you as well...

- Code versioning => better control at all!

- People who want to fix a bug could easily check if the issue was already
  solved.

- ... (I'm sure there are many other reasons)

Regards, michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html