[Typo3-dev] Character set inquery

Robert Lemke rl at robertlemke.de
Thu Sep 18 11:24:59 CEST 2003

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Otto wrote:
> I have prepared three small HTML pages:
> <http://www.php4win.com/charset-8859-1.html>
> <http://www.php4win.com/charset-8859-15.html>
> <http://www.php4win.com/charset-us-ascii.html>
>
> The webserver sends the header ISO-8859-1 as is default with Apache
> 1.3.
>
> But regardless what the webserver's charset setting is the Meta Tag
> takes precedence. According to your quote this should not happen.

In my case that's not true!! See the following screenshot taken from mozilla
retrieving your example pages:

http://typo3.robertlemke.de/list/charset-test-mozilla-ignores-meta-charset-definition.png

Mozilla DOES recognize your meta tag and states "Content-Type: text/html;
charset=us-ascii".
However, it uses ISO-8859-15 for encoding as you can see a few lines above.
That's weird.

I will do some more investigation on that issue, if anyone finds some
ressources, please post them!

--
robert