[Typo3-dev] Re: makeInstance and references

Martin Kutschker Martin.T.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Thu Sep 11 15:17:23 CEST 2003

Martin Kutschker writes on
Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:36:48 +0200 (METDST):

> Hi!

> I don't expect any troubles by this straightforward change. I'll use
> this setting for our development servers.

Well I ran into one problem so far:

ext/tstemplate/ts/index.php uses at some place or other

ext/tstemplate_analyzer/class.tx_tstemplateanalyzer.php
ext/tstemplate_objbrowser/class.tx_tstemplateobjbrowser.php
ext/tstemplate_info/class.tx_tstemplateinfo.php
ext/info_pagetsconfig/class.tx_infopagetsconfig_webinfo.php
ext/tstemplate_ceditor/class.tx_tstemplateceditor.php
ext/tstemplate_styler/modfunc1/class.tx_tstemplatestyler_modfunc1.php

these and maybe some more classes (depends on the installed extensions).

All these extensions have one thing in common. They declare $tmpl to be global:

global $tmpl;
$tmpl = t3lib_div::makeInstance("t3lib_tsparser_ext");

I had to undo my (automatic) work and change the assignment back from =& to =. I don't understand why we have to use a copy here. OTOH I don't understand why there is a global in the first place ;-)

Are there any more "hidden" globals in the code?

BTW, has anyone tried out the automatic conversion? Better, has anyone with low memory seen any improvement with the changes?

Masi