[Typo3-dev] Again: WYSIWYG Editor

4Dfx peter.russ at 4dfx.de
Thu Sep 11 08:34:30 CEST 2003

Andreas Otto schrieb:
> Hi Christoph, hi Peter
>
> On Wednesday 10 September 2003 23:36, Christoph Moeller wrote:
>
>>Another thing: the RTE you proposed is really slow/large. Loading it
>>took me about 30s with a 2mbit line on a P4-1800...don't want to go
>>through that each time I edit an RTE page ;-)
>

> I had to experience this as well. That's a bit a showstopper ;-)
>

> Cheers,
> Andreas
Thanks for this reply. Our experiences with that:
1) The code only has to be transfered once. The second time the applet
is started it's there within a second.
2) The code is not optimized, i.e. all classes are transfered in one
shot. There are more techniques to improve that behaviour.

On the other hand there are a bunch of benefits:
1) BROWSER and OS independent
2) SPEED e.g. to save the content the applet could handle that by
invoking Typo3 with out the need of reloading the whole content ;)

Additionally:
3) What this applet must be capable is defined in the RTE-interface.
4) Most important for us that at that point all items/buttoms/features
we would need are available. So it's easy to exclude the one or other.
5) There are other benefit's that at  the RTE can't handle, e.g.
spellchecker, i.e. EKIT could be extensible.

Most important would be that if the RTE is extended by Kasper this
features would also be included. But as we see the RTE code at the
moment is only extensible, if Microssoft adds new features to the browser;)

Anyone, who will join us?

Regs. Peter Russ.