[Typo3-dev] Character set inquery

"Kasper Skårhøj" kasper at typo3.com
Sun Sep 7 19:08:07 CEST 2003

Hi Folks.

TYPO3 in version 3.6.0 will be fully UTF-8 compliant. That is good news.

However Robert Lemke reports that the charset set by the browser in the <meta> tag was ignored in his case since Apache webserver overruled this setting - although the meta-tag should have priority, if found.

Personally I have never seen the charset defined in the browser fail. But Robert seems to experience this.

Does any of you have some valuable insights here?

This is roberts mail to me:

On 07-09-2003 at 13:10 Robert Lemke wrote:

>If you try the new utf-8 feature and your browser doesn't
>automatically detect the encoding check your apache configuration!
>
>The automatic detection of most browsers ignore the META tags if the
>server sends a header with a different encoding scheme. By default
>apache overrides PHP's header information regarding the encoding and
>sets it to ISO-8859-1! Again, most browsers take that value instead of the
>charset defined in the META tag or the XML tag so you have to make
>sure your server either doesn't touch the header or sets utf-8.
>
>One solution is to let apache create a header with utf-8 as default.
>Simply change the setting in your httpd.conf into this:
>
>       AddDefaultCharset utf-8
>
>--
>Robert Lemke Medienprojekte

- kasper